Tuesday 15 October 2013

Elizabethan Hair Quote - My Interpretation


The collage above is a piece of work that I created as an interpretation of an Elizabethan quote on hair.  We had many materials that we could use, such as ribbon, string, hair pieces, sponge and netting, and then we had to create our interpretations on a piece of A3 paper.  We were paired up, and I had to give my partner instructions on how I imagined the hairstyle to look when I read the quote.  We then went away separately and created our designs.
The key words and phrases from the quote that lead to this design were 'yellow as golde', 'scrapings', 'sponge' and 'cloth'.  When hearing those words, I imagined the hair scraped tightly back on the head and leading into two buns, with the hair wrapped around a hair rat, like they used to do during the Elizabethan era.  I also imagined pieces of ribbon to be tied around the buns.
To create the desired style, I wrapped hair pieces around small sponges and stuck them on top of the head using sellotape, as the glue wasn't strong enough to make them stay.  I then used some more hair pieces to stick to the forehead, in order to create the effect of scraped back hair, however you cannot see it that well in the picture.  Finally, I tied ribbon pieces around the buns.  If I had had more time, I would have worked at making the buns tighter and cleaner, as well as creating more of a scraped back look on the forehead.

I think that I communicated my vision well to my partner and that my instructions were relevant to the quote and to what I wanted to be created.  I feel that she understood what I was trying to say, as the outcomes of our collages were quite similar.  Areas that I think we could improve in is our creativity and use of materials.  For example, we could have used materials such as string or crepe paper to represent the hair, rather than just using hair pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment