Thursday 24 October 2013

My Journey with the Elizabethans - Ribbon Work

During the Elizabethan times, they used lots of different materials to entwine into the hair to keep it in place.  These materials could include things such as wire, ribbon or even lace.  This week in our hair seminar we tried out some plaiting techniques, using ribbon to tie and hold the hair in place.

  

I began by tying a piece of ribbon, twice as long as the natural hair length, to a strand of hair at the front of the head where I wanted my french plait to start.  Once I had secured the ribbon in place (in a strand just under the top layer, so that the knot couldn't be seen), I began to french plait the hair with the ribbon in, keeping it visible throughout the plait.  When it came to the end of the plait, I used a small elastic hair tie to hold the plait in place.  I then created a second french plait on the other side of the head with another piece of ribbon.
I then held the first french plait round and up on top of the head, whilst I used the spare ribbon on the end of the plait to weave back through the plait.  I repeated this method for the other plait as well, and then when both pieces of ribbon had been weaved back through the plaits, I tied a bow at the nape of the neck to secure the hair.

This technique was really interesting and quite easy to grasp.  I found it so interesting, because it amazed me that the hair do was kept so secure through just using two piece of ribbon to tie it all up on the head.  Also, I like to way that the look turned out aesthetically, as I feel it looks a bit like a hairstyle that may have been adopted by the less wealthier people of the Elizabethan time period.  For example, peasants or workers.
I quite like this look, and I think that I will experiment more with ribbon before I decide on my final 3 designs for the project assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment